We are THRILLED to invite you to the Great Plains Building Inclusive Church Training on Saturday, March 28 from 9:00am-3:00pm at Topeka First UMC. Laura Young, regional organizer for the South Central Jurisdiction for Reconciling Ministries Network, will be leading us. This will be a workshop that you can come to individually or with a group from your church to learn about how to become a more inclusive church no matter your starting point. The day will include:
- SOGIE (Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity & Expression) Training
- Learn vocabulary and make sure we understand the words we use and fully include all of God’s children with our language. Whether you have been inclusive for a long time or not, language continues to change. This will be a helpful way for every individual and church to grow.
- Reconciling Process Overview
- If you are looking for ways for your church to take steps to officially become (and continue to be) a church that is inclusive, you will learn what your church would need to do to become a reconciling congregation with Reconciling Ministries Network.
- Storytelling Training
- Each one of us has a story to tell about why we support LGBTQ+ inclusion in the UMC. We will learn how to share our stories in ways that are concise, meaningful, and helpful as we organize toward a more inclusive church. We will practice our stories and leave equipped with our most powerful tool to witnessing to our faith in God as inclusive United Methodists–our story!
The day will include lunch and is FREE to you! We are so grateful to the Great Plains Conference for offering a grant to GP UMCNext that will cover the cost of the day. If you’d like to contribute, there will be a chance to give an offering to Reconciling Ministries Network to support their continued organizing all across the denomination. Sign up below by March 24 and let us know if you have any questions at all.